Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wasabi?!?!?


Preston is in scouts and they have the "pinewood derby" coming up this weekend. So, my dad is king of making 1st place derby cars so wanted to come and get Preston this weekend to go to their house to get started on his car. Payton wanted to go to, of course, and I had a full day of tans so Craig took off Saturday morning with the kids to meet "namma and grampa" half way.

I have some clients that are huge sushi fans and keep telling me I have to try this place called "Tomo." I am leary of sushi and have a hard time disassociating what I am eating with the word "raw"......yuck. But, I wanted to branch out and was told that if I have never eaten sushi that THIS is the place to go for fabulous, authentic sushi.

So I went home and proceeded to convince Craig. It worked and off to Tomo we went! It was a very small, quaint place and we were seated right along the sushi wall. I was feeling a little timid and overwhelmed by the menu and wasn't sure about admitting we had NEVER had sushi before. I was sent prepared though...thanks to my client Tamara, she sent me with a list of what to order and when. Ha! Love it! Anyways, after we were seated the guy from behind the sushi bar reached over and placed this big square of green stuff (later to learn this is wasabi) on our plates. We both looked at it and talked about it for a few minutes. I am much more reserved about trying new things that I don't know what they are and what the ingredients are, but I guess Craig was feeling a little adventurous that night because at the exact same moment the little Japanese waitress came by to fill our water, I asked what the "green blob" was on our plate and if we could eat it...I looked over to see Craig putting the whole dang thing in his mouth and chewing. The waitress said NOOOOOOO.....and at that point there were about 4 "staff" around looking and gasping. I was still a little lost as to what was going on, but just said, "Craig, NO, your not supposed to eat that." All he was doing was holding his head in his hands, had sweat beading up on his face and breathing in and out harshly! Ohhh myyyyy!!! Then all the waitstaff (in their little Japanese accents) were telling him "SPIT OUT" "SPIT OUT" "DRINK WATAH" "DRINK WHATAH" hhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

By the time he cooled down and his face turned back to a normal color we learned that what he had eaten was Wasabi. Only the most spicy of spicy fiery-hot flavors. Apparently it is the root and VERY potent and is only supposed to be added to soy sauce in small portions.

Poor Craig! Although it wasn't funny at the time, I had the giggles all night seeing it play over and over in my mind again and again! I would just bust out laughing randomly all night. ha! He said to me, "honey, you don't understand...I thought my head was going to blow up. I felt like I had been gassed." All that did was make me crack up uncontrollably again and again!

I'm just glad I didn't pop that whole thing in my mouth too....I don't think I would have handled myself the same way craig did. I would have been crying my eyes out making a scene!

As for our first sushi experience........

sushi good, wasabi BAD!!!

2 comments:

Sarah W said...

Oh my gosh! That is the funniest story ever! I can just see that waitress as he put it in his mouth screaming "NO" like in slow motion! HA You've got to see if they have a survellience video so you can get a copy of that. Oh my word...hilarious! Thanks for the laugh...oh...I mean...sucks for you, Craig.

SkinnerFamily said...

What a brave couple, I would never try sushi. Let alone the green blob! I loved the story, it made me laugh.